The Workplace Learning Coordinators Program is a Department of Education and Early Childhood Development initiative and is in response to the Commonwealth Governments National Partnership of Youth Attainment and Transitions.
The Workplace Learning Program aims to open up more opportunities for young people aged 15 to 19 years of age to improve their skills and workplace knowledge through ‘on the job’ experience whether it be via Work Experience, Structured Workplace Learning or School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
The objective of the Workplace Learning Program is to
- Increase the numbers of young people undertaking workplace learning placements in places of employment, with emphasis on industries that provide strong vocational outcomes
- Increase the alignment between Vocational Education And Training (VET) provision and local industry needs
- Increase the number of Indigenous young people undertaking workplace learning placements
The Program will contribute to
- Improving opportunities for all young people to undertake workplace learning placements
- Improving the quality of Vocational Education And Training in schools programs through increased opportunities for young people to undertake structured workplace learning and be assessed in work based contexts
- Developing a ‘bank’ of ongoing workplace learning placements
- Improving the match between Vocational Education And Training provision and effective student learning and career pathways
- Promoting workplace learning to industry by improving industry understanding of the benefits to them
- Improving opportunities for Indigenous young people to undertake workplace learning placements by linking with existing targeted initiatives such as the Australian employment covenant
- Working with Indigenous Transitions Coordinators to increase Indigenous young peoples’ access to appropriate workplace learning placements
Direction Employment and Training can help
Workplace Learning is a special area of interest for Direction Employment and Training (DET), a Group Training Organisation. We offer a depth of expertise and experience in this sector. We offer an extensive range of services including advice and assistance for students regarding Career Pathway planning, Vocational Education and Training (VET), and School based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.